~ One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure ~

Before accepting the offer to run the family business, I had already spent a few weeks and many hours, staying up all night vetting through the financials.  I bought the Quick Books software, my mother gave me all of the bank statements and cancelled checks for the year and I classified every single expense and matched them up with their respective invoices to really get a feel for the the day to day financial operations.  Remember, I am about 26 years old, never taken a business class or accounting class, have no idea about operations or management in a formal setting, however, going through each expense, each source of revenue line by line gave me incredible insight and discipline that I still apply to this day.  In order to fix something, you have to cut through the smoke and mirrors to discover the truth.

'Men Lie, Women Lie, Numbers Don't' Jay Z

I immediately identified the problems and presented thorough and logical solutions however there was a small problem - nepotism - and let me tell you - this was a struggle I dealt with for the first five years at least.  And what made matters worse... People's perception of me.... Who was I coming in and changing things - the estranged daughter who had an unfavorable reputation? Why would anyone listen to me - what do I know about Dance Competitions? I was a train wreck in my personal life - why would I be able to execute in my professional life? 

As I stated in my last post, there were three legal partners in this LLC.  The company had not been profitable.... ever - and one of the partners was actually quite annoyed that each year he received a K1 for a loss or very small profit for his 10% share holding.  One year as these tax documents were being generated, he mentioned that his shares were worthless at which point I said, "Put a price on it, I'll buy them."  I honestly don't remember if it was $900 and change or $1100 and change and I wish I would have kept the cancelled check as it represents another defining moment in who I am today.

Single mom, new business venture, no insurance, pay cut, fighting a group of people who had worked with my mom for years who were quite comfortable with the status quo.... and I decide it's a good idea to write a personal check to buy 10% of Rainbow.....


~One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I can do it.... you can certainly do it ~ there is nothing special or extraordinary about me other than my integrity and work ethic!

I was an #entrepreneur before it was trending...

Double Down On Your Strenghs