Magic Happens When Your Intentions Are Pure
As I stated in my intro, this blog is less about me and more about celebrating and contributing to the greatness of others. I serve only to share my experiences and knowledge in hopes that I can have a positive impact in someone else's life.

A few years ago I had this crazy idea on how I was going to expand the skate competition industry all in support of my son's dream of becoming a Pro Skater. I said to myself.... 'I've made an impact in the dance competition industry... I can surely add value to the skate competition industry.'
Of course I consulted with my son and used him as a sounding board and we came up with ideas for this event. I remember him being so concerned that I wouldn't be able to pull it off... I mean what do I know about the skate industry. I asked my son.... what skater(s) needs to be there in order for you to be proud of this project - in order for it to have legitimacy for the skate community? He said, Chris Joslin and Mikey Haywood and followed it up with, 'Mom, you're not going to be able to get them.'

I had NO idea who these young men were so I took to social media and slid in their DM's - I know... Super Weird - Old lady creeping in 20 yr old's DM's (this is an example of being fearless LOL). On the other side... I knew exactly what I was doing. I mean, I promote competitions for a living. Scoring was designed, website created, permits pulled, awards went into production, red carpets and step and repeats were ordered... I mean HELLO! Doesn't EVERY skate competition have a red carpet? I didn't even have a judging panel but I was sure creating and moving forward as if I did.
Grind Time Skate Competition was born and in the beginning I was #flailing trying to network and make connections with industry leaders. I was turned away by several skate shops and industry leaders over the course of the first few weeks... maybe even a month of introducing this project. The skate community was NOT a fan of the concept... especially from an outsider who knows nothing about the industry ~ I couldn't get one person to buy into it.
And then.... MY ANGEL appeared - Kurtis Colamonico actually found me. He saw one of the fliers at a local skate park and it just so happened that his son's grandmother has a dance school program in elementary schools and encouraged him to meet with me.
Upon our first meeting, Kurtis joined the project and within 4 days Grind Time had an amazing panel of judges, industry photographers, videographers, and an emcee.
Both Mikey Haywood and Chris Joslin were at Grind Time Skate Competition! It was a great day which has now turned into an AMAZING three years! Friendships built during this project are still strong and flourishing!

Kurtis has been a HUGE blessing in both me and my son's life and I have been honored to work with him on HIS DREAM AND HIS BUSINESS ~ SKATE KIDS ~ offering consulting services and access to some of my resources and expertise in support of his growth and continued success.

Today's Special Guest I'd like to introduce is Kurtis Colamonico - Pro Skater and Founder of
weareskatekids.com

A few years ago I had this crazy idea on how I was going to expand the skate competition industry all in support of my son's dream of becoming a Pro Skater. I said to myself.... 'I've made an impact in the dance competition industry... I can surely add value to the skate competition industry.'
Of course I consulted with my son and used him as a sounding board and we came up with ideas for this event. I remember him being so concerned that I wouldn't be able to pull it off... I mean what do I know about the skate industry. I asked my son.... what skater(s) needs to be there in order for you to be proud of this project - in order for it to have legitimacy for the skate community? He said, Chris Joslin and Mikey Haywood and followed it up with, 'Mom, you're not going to be able to get them.'

I had NO idea who these young men were so I took to social media and slid in their DM's - I know... Super Weird - Old lady creeping in 20 yr old's DM's (this is an example of being fearless LOL). On the other side... I knew exactly what I was doing. I mean, I promote competitions for a living. Scoring was designed, website created, permits pulled, awards went into production, red carpets and step and repeats were ordered... I mean HELLO! Doesn't EVERY skate competition have a red carpet? I didn't even have a judging panel but I was sure creating and moving forward as if I did.
Grind Time Skate Competition was born and in the beginning I was #flailing trying to network and make connections with industry leaders. I was turned away by several skate shops and industry leaders over the course of the first few weeks... maybe even a month of introducing this project. The skate community was NOT a fan of the concept... especially from an outsider who knows nothing about the industry ~ I couldn't get one person to buy into it.
And I'm not going to lie - there were times when I felt defeated as I did not want to disappoint nor embarrass my son.
And then.... MY ANGEL appeared - Kurtis Colamonico actually found me. He saw one of the fliers at a local skate park and it just so happened that his son's grandmother has a dance school program in elementary schools and encouraged him to meet with me.
Upon our first meeting, Kurtis joined the project and within 4 days Grind Time had an amazing panel of judges, industry photographers, videographers, and an emcee.
Both Mikey Haywood and Chris Joslin were at Grind Time Skate Competition! It was a great day which has now turned into an AMAZING three years! Friendships built during this project are still strong and flourishing!

Kurtis has been a HUGE blessing in both me and my son's life and I have been honored to work with him on HIS DREAM AND HIS BUSINESS ~ SKATE KIDS ~ offering consulting services and access to some of my resources and expertise in support of his growth and continued success.

Big Thinker, Big Doer, Big Life!
ReplyDelete