Leverage Your Strengths
At 35 I left Las Vegas, ended a 10 year relationship, entered into a business partnership and rented a shack in Laguna Beach thinking I would be the next Vicky of Orange County Housewives if I played my cards right. Here's what really happened... I was stressed out feeling like a fish out of water, was having difficulty acclimating to my new partnership, and incredibly fearful.
~Fear Kills More Dreams Than Failure Ever Will ~
One night when I was feeling desperate to regain control, I thought it would be a good idea to prove once again to myself that I was worthy (an ongoing theme in my life) and I applied for the MBA program at UCI. First off, I wasn't sure I'd be accepted because my undergrad GPA was less than desirable, as I was a single mom working 2 jobs at the time. Second, I had NO idea how much it would cost (they didn't put that info in the fancy brochure) LOL.
I submitted my application, transcripts, personal statement, etc. right before the deadline. I received a call from admissions that 'technically' I did not meet the criteria but the program was willing to consider me if I agreed to brush up on my math/statistics. What was compelling the program to accept me were the details in my personal statement (life story).
In an effort to keep your interest... let me cut to the chase - I was accepted into the program, I figured out how to pay for it, the students didn't care for me at all because I am not the best student and much of the coursework was team oriented. I was way out of my comfort zone ~ I showed up to class with lashes, full make up, fashionable (some call it inappropriate) attire, and often times I worked on my laptop or was surfing the web during lectures.
There was one professor though... who took an interest in me. Anytime we were able to discuss high level strategy in open dialogue during class, I often piqued the entire room's curiosity with the way my mind 'ticked'. The renowned Marketing Professor at UCI took a meeting with me which was the turning point of how I viewed myself. As soon as we sat down, I spent the first 40 minutes talking about all my weaknesses, how I was struggling in this course and that course, how I wasn't meshing well with the other students, etc. He sat patiently and listened to me. When I was finished he politely responded, "I know everything you are NOT but I have not heard anything describing what YOU ARE"
I was silent and at a loss for words. Here's the sad part - Even until this day the list of negatives outweigh the positives.... at least in my mind... unless of course you you allow me to weight them by difficulty and importance (here I go with statistics) LOL - And I can illustrate them on a chart for you too if you'd like :)
The MAIN takeaway here.... What I learned... and just a very short time ago ~
Don't even discuss your weaknesses - Stop apologizing and giving energy to what you are NOT. That is a conversation you can keep to yourself. Don't get me wrong - know what your weaknesses are and do the work to improve or mitigate them.
Remember....
Focus on your strengths and not your weaknesses. There will be plenty of people on your journey who will be working hard to highlight the negative ~ Be kind to yourself and celebrate your greatness!
Comments
Post a Comment